Rosemary Oil in latin is called the “Dew of the Sea” also called “Rose of Mary”and associated with the Goddesses Isis (Hathor/Het Heru) and Aphrodite. It’s affiliation is so powerfully linked to ancient goddesses of the Mediterranean such as the indigenous roman goddess of the Etruscan era called Menrva equivalent to Athena (Greece) meminisse, meaning “to remember.”
Its folklore is linked to Mary, Mnemosyne (memory) mother of the 9 muses (literature, science, and arts), and other goddess archetypes of love, remembrance, memory, mother goddess, divinity, sacred feminine, fertility, protectress, scholarship, wisdom, and royalty. It’s used magically to repel negativity, bad omens and bad dreams, hair loss, worry, anxiety, increasing love, centeredness, music, the muses, the arts, motivation, increased intention, healing, medicine, warrioress, commerce, embodiment of the divine trinity, the mysteries of water and prescience, weddings, attraction of faeries, source of knowledge, poetry, myth, song, and visions.
Its pine-shaped, silvery leaves are full of the sun’s light energy. Rosmarinus officinalis is one of my favorite oils that “feels” more eclectic and ancient than a popular choice in modern times. It’s omnipotent scent is a boost of strong woodsy pine aroma with hints of astringent-camphor that awaken the senses. Although many find this too strong to wear, I adorn my bath and body with this goddess-gifted essential oil. It’s as if my body, cells, organs, and auric field know just how invaluable this oil is to the body, mind and spirit!
Rosemary is powerful stimulator inciting circulation. It’s also a cleanser detoxing the mind, awakening the heart and calming the liver as an all around well-being oil. It acts as an astringent, antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic, antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, energy booster. It aids immunity function, relieves headaches, muscle pain and joint soreness, congestion and coughs, anxiety and depression. Rosemary stimulates hair growth and beauty, provides gum and teeth health, and improves digestion.
Coming from a Creole background, rosemary is one of my staple herbes-de-provence along with organic thyme and sage, I add to my culinary healing cabinet and a staple I can’t live without! This sun-loving, perennial shrub is native to the Mediterranean, and sacred to ancient Egypt, Greece, and Mexico used in funerary embalming, memory, and spiritual purification rites.
Magical Rites and Properties
- Protection, purification, and passion
- Rosemary tied with orange, cloves, holly and mistletoe for New Years offering
- Rosemary burnt with juniper to purify air
- Women rule where Rosemary dwells!
- Male energy of Leo (the Sun/Sol) – Fire element
- Feminine energy of the Moon (Lunar) – use to increase dreams and memory of dreams
- Psychic development, psychic protection
- Increases wisdom and sacred memory
- Attracts friendships and love
- Repels negativity, psychic attack, chaos, confusion
- Repels witches and lower level entities
- Scholars and students to increase memory, academic excellence
- Offering to the dead, ancestors, ancient embalming rites
- Increases meditation and higher vibrations
- Attracts high frequency beings like faeries, elfs, air elementals
Chakra: Solar Plexus, “I Do” mantra, characteristics: emotions, memory, discernment, clarity, strength, purpose, will, vitality, right to act, self-control. Tone: E, Planets: Mars, Venus, Mercury, Sense: Sight
- Floor wash: add rosemary oil, lavender, or rosemary and frankincense oil
- Burn: sage and rosemary, juniper to raise spiritual energy vibration
- Twigs: Carry in pocket for success, attract good luck, opportunity, commerce
- Bathe: cleansing negative energy, blessings, & purification
- anti cancer, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal
- improved digestive system
- circulatory system – hair growth, varicose veins, and skin ailments
- aids respiratory systems coughs, asthma, congestion
- reduces pain, inflammation, muscle soreness
- adaptogen (adrenal gland function) – spray as immunity booster and preventative measures for colds
- detoxes, purifies, and cleans air as air freshener
- reduces stress lowering cortisol hormones
- brings calm, stabilizing emotions and fights depression
NaturalSelfGoddess the Blog by Ria Sweetraw is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://wordpress.com/post/naturalselfgoddess.blog/4896.